Monday, March 14, 2011

Pillowcase Tutorial

I have been making pillowcases for people that I know that are going through serious health issues the last couple years.  They are so simple to make......here is my favorite method.  I use my 4 thread serger and can probably whip one out in 15 minutes.  But if you don't have a serger, your sewing machine will work fine using a straight stitch and a zig-zag stitch if you have it, or if you machine does not do a zig-zag stitch, then pink the edges with some pinking shears.
To make one pillow case you need 3/4 yard of one fabric and 1/4 yard of a coordinating fabric.  I always pre-wash my fabrics prior to using them as well.  I have my fabric trimmed so the cut edges are even and I laid both fabrics out as shown on top of one another because I need to trim the width of both pieces, they need to be identical.  When you add the band to the top of the case you will see this is very important.  I trim off the least amount of fabric to make it even usually cutting off most of the selvage edge.

Sew across one short side and one long side of the body of the pillowcase with right sides together.  Sew the band across the short side, also with right sides together.  If you are using a sewing machine, use 1/4" seam allowance and treat them as written above.  They are shown like it will be finished only wrong sides out.
Take the pillow case band fabric to the ironing board and press the seam to one side, then take it fold it half wrong sides together matching the raw edges together, this will make a circle.  Press the folded edge.

Place the folded band inside the pillowcase body right sides together and all the raw edges even.  You should have 3 layers of fabric.  Pin matching the seams and folds, it should fit perfectly if you trimmed both pieces to be the same width at the beginning.  :)  Sew this seam to attach the band.
I secure serger tails with fray check or tack them down in the seam allowance.  This shows the pillowcase all sewed together, take to the ironing board and press the seam allowance of the band toward the body of the pillowcase.  Then turn it right side out using a bodkin or point turner for the corners, do not use scissors.  Press the outside edges so it lays nice and flat.  It is ready to give away.
Folded and ready to mail.  I tied a matching ribbon around it too.
I  hope you enjoy making these.  They can also be made from flannel and polar fleece too, if you want cozy ones.  They make great gifts.

No comments: