Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Moms

One of my facebook friends just commented on how few pictures she had with her mother, which made me take stock of my own inventory in that regard.  I do have some, but there are a few I wish I had that do not exist. 


It was a less than ideal day outside.....so we took my folks out for lunch and my mom shopping for mother's day, which prompted a conversation about how we used to shop with Grandma Thedens. I so wished I had a picture of the three of us shopping back in the day!  Mom & I went with her multiple times a year, not every month, but probably close to every other month.  Sometimes we went to Waterloo/Cedar Falls and other times we headed to Cedar Rapids.....we were partial to Armstrong's downtown and to Westdale when that was built.  And to think that doesn't exist anymore.  We also went to Lindale too......sometimes we would do all three in a day.  Grandma T. was getting right up there in years, but you would never know it on shopping days, she could go for hours.  Neither mom or I have her endurance.  Grandma T. always bought us lunch, so you always wanted to go with her.  I remember running into her a time or two at Crossroads, I always got treated for lunch......mostly at Bishops Buffet.  She liked that place.


Stephanie will enjoy this one from the archives.....summer 2002, she is holding Emma and we are 5 generations of women strong.


Stephanie & Emma Carlson, Grandma Ruth Thedens, Sheri Kullmer Lesh, Gretchen Thedens Kullmer (standing)


This is 2005.....not sure the occasion, but I am guessing toward the end of summer by the way the girls are dressed.....this is part II of "the seven."  Sam was born to Sara in February, Ellie was born to Stacey in April, Matt was born to Stephanie in May and Evie was born to Sally in June.  


Oh and by the way........these 4 are turning 14......
shut the front door!!!!


Matt & Stephanie Carlson, Sam & Sara Klein, Ellie & Stacey Borrenpohl, Evie & Sally Carruthers



Another fun all girl picture so I could use it for mother's day, the only thing that would make this picture any better, would be to include Stacey and her two girls and Sally and her three girls.  This was mom's birthday party last December.

Back:  Cora & Sara Klein, Gretchen Kullmer, Stephanie Carlson, Sheri Lesh
Front:  Kate Anne & Emma Carlson

I told the girls, they would see this for Mother's Day.....Aunt Joan would have loved this and being with ALL of US.....but for her, she is free from a broken, worn out body and although we were sad for us, we were celebrating for her.  Absent from the body, present with the Lord......wonderful promise.  At least we were all together last summer, for what was to be our last time with her.  I think that was a great comfort to us, that we had such a wonderful weekend together and there were no regrets, just awesome memories.....just as she would have wanted for us!

Indiana 2018


Sara, Sally, Sheri, Stephanie, & Stacey Lesh.......they use to be the Lesh girls, but they still are to me!

So I told mom I was taking the picture of us shopping today, because it is one of the ones I wished I had with Miss Shopper Extraordinaire....Grandma T. and us trying to keep up with her.  I love you Mom!




No comments: