Sunday, April 17, 2011

Doll Quilts

 I like small quilts.....what can I say.  I was looking at one of my blank walls the other day and I don't have many of those.  :)  I was reminded of a photo I had once seen in a decorating book, where the wall was covered in small quilts and it was wonderful.  I have never forgotten that image.  So I went through my trunks and quilt racks and pulled several pieces....laying them out on the floor to come up with a layout that would work and started hanging them with straight pins.  I hang almost all my pictures with pins, except the heavy ones.


Here is a close-up of the lower three pieces.  The half-square triangle piece is a recent piece based on a antique doll quilt that was found in "Shipshi" in Indiana.  The courthouse steps was made out of scraps and was foundation pieced and the four-patch is out of 30's repro fabric.

The Bear's Paw on top is from one of Kathleen Tracey's books and I did that at a recent workshop.  The thimble shaped piece is a charm patch where every piece is a different fabric.  The little square one in the center is a Carol Doak design and is all foundation pieced using vintage 30's fabric from my Grandma K's stash.....it is from an online challenge.  And the basket quilt, I made a long time ago and looks better from a distance.... lets just say my skills have increased since then, but the graphic appeal is still there.




Hope you enjoyed my mini quilt show.  Small quilts are a joy to make and give you a short turn around in accomplishment and as you can see are very graphic in their appeal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I love your little quilts and this is much better than being in a drawer. I think the half square triangle is my favorite.
Patti

Beverly said...

I love your wall! Love the idea of little quilts, too. Gotta make me some. Hey, thanks for the eye candy!

Mdemildt said...

I love that thimble quilt- it's beautiful! I've got 5 friends who are pregnant now (plus Leah!) so I need to start looking for baby-appropriate quilt patterns, and that thimble pattern might be perfect for some of them :) Looking forward to getting together with you this summer! Now I just have to make it through a month and a half of school....

Sheri said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate the feedback!!! My personal fav is the half square triangle one as well. I machine quilted it using the "quilting stitch" on my machine because of the small pieces and ALL those seam allowances. Plus I got it finished in no time.

Sarah Jane said...

Such a good idea to show your little quilts like this. Actually, I like them all!