Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gluten-Free Food

I am not going to use this blog to talk about food or recipes often, not that I don't like food.....but in the last two years I have taken gluten and dairy out of my diet.  So that has made food not much fun for me and at this point of my life I am not much interested in spending lots of time, money & ingredients figuring out food that I actually like.  I have other things I rather spend my time doing.

I will mention to all of you, my reason for taking gluten out of my diet was not for my stomach, but for my thyroid.  After having a surgery many years ago, it resulted in a pile of other issues that were very irritating to deal with and really interfered with living a "normal life."  One of which was never waking up rested in the morning.  I forced myself to get out of bed every day for quite a few years.  A couple years ago while visiting with a pharmacist and was sharing this with her and she immediately told me, she thought I needed to eliminate gluten.  So I did that and it has made a huge difference.  I share this only because there might be others that are troubled in this way and it would be something to try and might be a help in your life as well.

We go to friends in Arizona in the winter time and the last two years have been with them over New Year's.  Genie makes cooked cabbage and bacon for us.  So we have been enjoying that a couple times of month.  It is easy to make and tastes wonderful and can be made in minutes.

I use a 1/2 of cabbage for a meal to feed two people.


I chunk up the cabbage into bite size pieces.


Cut up 1/2 pound of bacon and cook in some olive oil.


Add the cabbage to the browned bacon with some salt and pepper.


Cook until the cabbage is wilted and glossy.  You can also kick it up a notch and drizzle it with hot pepper sauce.....yummmm!!!!


A couple of my favorite gluten free products.


I make the bread in my bread machine and then freeze the slices to keep it fresh and pull it out
when I want a piece of bread to eat.




2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

It all looks very tasty and what an interesting piece of information to share about gluten. Have a good week.

Joan said...

I never would of guessed...you are always the go get'um, never sit still, always busy and sooo organized person. Glad the change in diet helped. The cabbage/bacon sounds delicious. TY