Thursday, October 27, 2011

Last Garden Tomatoes and Old Recipes

Hot Spanish Sandwiches 


Well I must say, my tomatoes were not the prettiest this year as you can see and for some reason were kind of slow coming around.....the season seemed to be short. 


I decided to make Spanish Sandwiches, a recipe I haven't made for years and one ALL my girls absolutely hate.  So why am I sharing this with you..... because the Silver Fox and I like them and I can eat them with a few modifications.  I got this recipe from a dear lady already in Glory (who I might add, died and saw the pearly gates of heaven, then came back to earth for a time and told about them)....my dear friend's mother, Juanita.

I have been cooking my bacon in the oven lately....350 for about 20 minutes....turning it part way through cooking.  And on parchment paper too....no washing the pan...even better.


Hot Spanish Sandwiches

10 slices of bread toasted
1/2 lb of bacon cooked
Slices of cheese
Put bacon & cheese between 2 slices of toast.
Pour sauce over the top.

Cook 2 T. onion in some 1 T. of oil
Add 3 cups strained tomatoes
1 green pepper chopped
2 t. of parsley
1/2 c. chopped celery
Simmer 20 min.
Can thicken with a bit of flour in butter.
Pour over your hot toasted sandwiches.
Yum!!!


Chili Sauce

 

Then still more tomatoes on another day when I checked the garden.  They are coming fast and furious now, knowing their time on this earth is short.  :)  I decided to make some chili sauce....another recipe I haven't done in awhile.  Only this time I am going to freeze it, instead of canning it.


BTW, I thought you might like to see the way I hold recipes or any other paper item that I want to stand up and look perky.  I use old flower frogs ......very cute.  The chili recipe on the left I had my daughter Sally write out for me when she was 10 and include the date and year.  You might want to do that if you have younger kids or grand kids around.  They are such dear things to pull out of your recipe box or book.


I picked all of the peppers I had left in the garden and luckily I had bought a bag on onions at the store.


I chop everything in my Cuisinart......I pretty much use the recipe as a general guideline, just so you know.


Chili Sauce

24 large ripe tomatoes
4 white onions
4 green peppers
4 t salt
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t all spice
1 T cinnamon
1 c sugar
1 1/2 pints vinegar

Chop everything and cook slowly for 3 hours then can.  Or if you want to freeze it like I did.  I waited for it to cool down and then bagged it in freezer bags.  I put a quart of sauce into a gal. size bag, then got the air out of the bag and laid them on a cookie sheet so they were nice and flat.  And froze them.  Then you can stand them upright in your freezer like a file folder and see what you have and pull out what you need.

I also made a small batch of the sauce the other day and just added the other ingredients to make the chili for us to eat after I let the sauce cook down a bit. 

Every time I make chili with this recipe for those who have never had it.  They pretty much go nuts over the flavor, because it is sweet and the spices make it unique and interesting. 

Enjoy!!! 

No comments: